Nick and Perry Sumas founded Village Super Market, Inc. in 1937. They were brothers and Greek immigrants who came to the United States in search of the “American Dream.” Neither had a formal education, but they both believed that with diligence and determination came opportunities that could only be found in this country. They cared deeply about their associates. They were proud that they were able to provide steady work for so many people, and an opportunity for the next generation to obtain a formal education as a result. In honor of these two men, the following generations of the Sumas family want to expand the opportunity for scholarship funds to more people across the company. This year we will be awarding thirty-four, $1,000 scholarships for undergraduate education. There will be one scholarship recipient from each store plus one from our corporate office and all recipients must reapply each year.
- Current full or part-time employees (union or non-union) OR children or grandchildren of current employees of Village Super Market who have been employed for at least six months at the time of application.
- High school seniors entering college next year or current college students.
- 3.0 GPA
The scholarship may be used at any accredited college, university or
professional school in the United States.
How To Apply
- Email a completed Nick & Perry Sumas Scholarship application, including a 500 word or less essay, along with your transcripts to email@example.com.
- Please put “Last Name, First Name: Scholarship Application 2020” in the Subject line.
- All applications are due by June 8th, 2020.
Selection of Winners
- A Village Super Market selection committee will meet in June 2020 to select the thirty-four scholarship recipients.
- In evaluating the applicants, the committee considers the applicants’ grades, a written essay, and financial need.
- Students must be in good standing and free from disciplinary actions.
- All applicants are notified of the results by June 22, 2020.
The recipient will be notified by June 22nd and awarded the scholarship
by July 22, 2020.
Click below to view and download the application; for additional information about the program please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.